Published on 12 January 2018 12:30 PM
Statement to Media
12 January 2018
Age Cymru’s response to Public Health Wales’ advice regarding flu outbreak
Supporting Public Health Wales’ advice, Age Cymru’s health initiatives officer Angharad Phillips said:
“If you have the flu please spare a thought for older relatives, friends, and neighbours. While social contact is important to older people, we must remember they are more vulnerable to the effects of flu than the majority of the population.
“We would urge that you continue to keep in regular contact with local older people, but perhaps give them a phone call and ask if they’re well and have everything they need.
“If you know an older person who has not had the flu vaccine remind them that it’s not too late to get vaccinated. This is especially important for older people who are housebound or caring for another older person. All they need to do is speak to their local GP or district nurse to book an appointment.
“Indeed, we can all help older people by getting ourselves vaccinated against the virus.”
1. Age Cymru is the national charity for older people in Wales.
2. We are the force combining Age Concern Cymru and Help the Aged in Wales.
3. We work with local Age Cymru Partners across Wales.
4. Age Cymru is a registered charity 1128436.
5. Company limited by guarantee and registered by in England and Wales 6837284.
6. Age Cymru is funded by donations from the public, corporate partners, our trading enterprises and the Welsh Government.
Statement Issues by: Michael Phillips (Communications Manager)
029 2043 1545