We use cookies to give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. Read more about how we use cookies and find out how you can change your browser's cookie setting
Skip to content
Please donate

Managing your money in Winter

Lots of us find winter an expensive time of year. Darker nights and cold weather often mean higher bills. Plus the festive season can put a strain on your pocket.

A few simple changes to your home – or a bit of extra help – could ease the problem if you find you worry more about money at this time of year.

Get your home ready for winter

It's cheaper and easier to heat your home if it's well insulated and your heating works properly.

  • Draught proof doors and windows, insulate the loft, lag the hot-water tank and pipes, and consider getting cavity-wall insulation
  • Have your heating system serviced every year and check that it's working before the cold weather starts. If you rent your home, your landlord should check your gas heating system and appliances for safety at least once a year.

Contact NEA Warm and Safe Home to find out which home improvements would be appropriate for you and whether you can access any funding.

Top tips for a warmer home

  1. Draw your curtains in the evenings to minimise heat loss through windows.
  2. Tuck long curtains behind radiators so that heat isn't trapped.
  3. Keep radiators and heaters clear so heat can circulate – don't put furniture in front of them or dry washing on them.
  4. If there are rooms you don't use, turn off the radiators in them and close the doors. Keep your home at a stable, comfortable temperature.  
  5. Use your heating controls, such as thermostats and timers, to heat your home without wasting energy.

Get a home energy check

Some local Age Cymru partners offer home energy checks. They'll send a trusted handyperson to your home, who will make sure that your home is energy efficient. If necessary, they'll also provide some free equipment to help you save money on your bills.

Local Age Cymru near me

Save energy, pay less

Get lots more tips on insulating and draught-proofing your home, as well as how to switch energy deals as this is often the quickest way to save money.

Check you're getting all the help you're entitled to

Now's a good time to check your finances and make sure you are receiving the benefits you’re entitled to.

There are a number of financial help schemes that can help with your energy bills this winter. 

Winter Fuel Payment - this is an annual tax-free payment to help with heating costs. Make sure you're registered to get it - once you are, you'll receive it every year without having to do anything. 

Cold Weather Payment - if it's very cold where you live (at or below 0 degrees) for a period of time, and you're receiving certain benefits, you may be eligible to receive £25 a week for each 7 day period of cold weather. 

Warm Home Discount - this is a discount on your electricity bill. You may be able to get it if you get Pension Credit or are on a low income. 

Budgeting Loans - if you're receiving Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance, you may be able to get a Budgeting Loan to help with unexpected expenses.

What extra money are you entitled to?

Do you know what benefits you are entitled to? Our Benefits Calculator can help you, quickly and easily, to find out what you could be claiming.

Help with home repairs

Fixing a broken window, door or roof can make your home more comfortable and cheaper to heat.

In rented housing, your landlord is responsible for certain repairs, including structural repairs. If you own your home, you may be able to get help from your local council or a Home Improvement Agency. 

Your local Age Cymru may also offer handyperson services to help you with repairs around the house. 

We're here to help

We can offer support and advice through Age Cymru Advice. If you want to talk to someone directly, in Welsh or English, call us on 0300 303 44 98 charged at local rate (open between 9:00am and 4:00pm, Monday - Friday). Email us at advice@agecymru.org.uk

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top