Leeds runners raise record-breaking funds for Age UK
Published on 11 February 2011 12:30 AM
- Charity raises over £200,000 through the Leeds Abbey Dash -
Runners in the Age UK Leeds Abbey Dash raised more than just their heart-rate during November's road race in the city centre. Age UK, the new force combining Age Concern and Help the Aged, has received over £200,000 - the event's biggest fundraising total yet - thanks to the efforts of over 6,000 participants.
The 2010 Age UK Leeds Abbey Dash, which was sponsored by airline Jet2.com, saw fun runners, beginners and elite runners alike line up to take on the 10k route following an aerobic warm-up led by local celebrity Nell McAndrew.
The record-breaking funds raised by Leeds Abbey Dash runners will ensure that Age UK can continue to fund local services for people in later life across the Leeds area, including the Meals At Home service which is delivered by Age UK Leeds.
Fiona Jerman, Special Events and Challenge Manager at Age UK, said: 'The Meals At Home service supports people in later life who have difficulty shopping, carrying food or cooking it themselves. The service runs 365 days a year - including Christmas Day - thanks to a dedicated team of volunteers, including Frank Waspe, who joined us on race day.
'We'd like to thank each and every runner who took part in the most successful Leeds Abbey Dash yet! Their support has allowed us to continue to provide older people living across Leeds with hot, nourishing meals and will ensure they can live independently in their homes for longer.'
For more information about Age UK fundraising events, visit www.ageuk.org.uk/events.
- ENDS -
Note to Editors
- For more information please contact Lizzie Webster, Age UK Media Team, on 020 8765 7516 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Age UK is the new force combining Age Concern and Help the Aged, dedicated to improving later life.
- Age UK provide free information, advice and support to over five million people; commercial products and services to over one million customers; and research and campaign on the issues that matter to people in later life. Our work focuses on five key areas: money matters, health and well being, home and care, work and training and leisure and lifestyle. We work with our national partners, Age Scotland, Age Cymru and Age NI (together the Age UK Family), our local Age UK partners in England and local Age Concerns. We also work internationally for people in later life as a member of the DEC and with our sister charity Help Age International.
- Age UK is a charitable company limited by guarantee and registered in England (registered charity number 1128267 and company number 6825798). Age Concern England and Help the Aged (both registered charities), and their trading and other associated companies merged on the 1st April 2009. Together they have formed the Age UK Group ("we"). Charitable services are offered through Age UK and commercial products are offered by the Charity's trading companies, which donate their net profits to Age UK (the Charity).
Media contact: Lizzie Webster
Tel: 020 8765 7516
Out-of-hours: 07071 243 243