Volunteer as a telephone befriender
What is Call in Time?
Call in Time is a free public telephone befriending service that matches volunteers with older members of the public.
Not having someone to talk to regularly can be lonely and isolating, particularly if you're used to sharing your home and time with others.
A friendly, weekly, 30-minute chat on the phone can make all the difference.
While we're waiting to find a suitable match for an older member of the public, we carry out regular, short Good Day Calls with them, to make sure they're still being talked to.
'It's the highlight of my week'
Darranda explains why she loves volunteering as a telephone befriender.
What's great about Call in Time?
- A free way to give something back through a weekly call to an older person
- Our dedicated Call in Time team will match you with someone who has shared interests
- Your calls make a huge difference to the happiness and wellbeing of an older person
- We protect the safety of all volunteers by automatically connecting them with their telephone friend, which means no personal telephone numbers need to be exchanged
How does Call in Time work?
Call in Time follows a straightforward process.
- You sign up and complete your profile online
- We then match you with a suitable older person based on your interests.
- Age UK will then connect you with your telephone friend to begin your weekly calls.
What's expected of me?
- A short 30-minute call at the same time each week, so it's easy for you and your telephone friend to arrange your schedules
- We understand things can come up, but let us know if you need to cancel or rearrange a call so we can update your telephone friend
- Conversations you have with your telephone friend should be kept confidential
- Let us know if you have problems with the telephone service so we can assist you in the best way possible.
Frequently asked questions
What training do I need?
What if my telephone friend needs some assistance?
What if I'm unable to make my call because I'm off sick?
What if my friend doesn't answer when I call?
What if I don't get on with my friend or we have nothing in common?
How is my telephone number kept anonymous?
Would you like to get a friendly, weekly call?
Sign up for Call in Time - our free telephone befriending scheme
For more information call Age UK on 0800 055 6112