Skip to content
Please donate

I’m a carer and worried about money

Caring for someone can lead to money worries, especially if your caring role means you have to give up work. On this page you’ll find out about the financial support available for carers.

Carer's Allowance

This is a benefit especially for carers. To be eligible you must spend at least 35 hours per week caring for a disabled person.

Find out more

You could get an extra £62.70 a week

Protect your State Pension with Carer’s Credit

If you care for someone at least 20 hours per week, you could get Carer’s Credit. This helps to maintain your National Insurance record – which goes towards your State Pension.

You will get Carer’s credit automatically if you get Carer’s Allowance, although you don’t have to be receiving Carer’s Allowance to get it.

Find out more about Carer's Credit on the GOV UK website

Get financial support from social services

If you have a carer’s assessment from your local council, they may find that you are eligible for a direct payment, also known as a carer’s personal budget, to help you with your caring role.

If the person you care for has been assessed as needing help from social services, they may also get money towards their care and support.

Find out more about getting a carer's assessment

Disability benefits for the person you care for

The person you care for may be eligible for Attendance Allowance, a weekly benefit for those over 65 who have difficulty with their personal care or needs supervision to keep them safe.

If the person you care for is under 65, they may be eligible for Personal Independent Payment, which has replaced Disability Living Allowance.

What to do next?

For more advice on what benefits you could be eligible for, or for help applying for them, contact your local Age UK.


  • Please select a search type
  • Please enter a valid postcode

For more information call Age UK on 0800 055 6112


Last updated: Oct 10 2017

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top