Skip to content
Please donate

Fire prevention, gas safety and electric safety

It’s important that we are safe in our homes. Take steps to protect yourself from fire and carbon monoxide poisoning, and make sure your gas appliances at home are safe.


What can I do to prevent fires in the home?

Fires can start quickly and cause a lot of damage but there are some simple things you can do in your home to prevent them.

  • It’s vital to have a smoke alarm on each floor of your home. Check it has the British Standard number BS 5446 and the Kitemark.
  • Test your smoke alarms monthly and keep them free from dust. Change the battery at least once a year, or get a long-life alarm that can last between seven and ten years without needing a new battery.
  • If you have hearing problems or vision difficulties, you can get specialist smoke alarms.
  • Plan a fire escape route and make sure that corridors, exits and stairs are free from clutter. If you live in a flat, follow the building’s fire evacuation plan and avoid using lifts.
  • Some fire and rescue services offer a Home Fire Risk Check where they can visit to help you install smoke alarms, plan escape routes and assess other hazards
  • If you have an open fire, use a fireguard and have the chimney swept at least once a year.
  • Don’t dry clothes over or near a fire or electric heater.
  • When you’re cooking, never leave the pan unattended.
  • If you smoke, make sure you stub your cigarettes out completely and never smoke in bed.

Get out, stay out and call 999

If you do have a fire, don’t panic. Remember the fire service advice: Get out, stay out and call 999. Don’t under any circumstances attempt to re-enter a room or building that is on fire.


How can I keep gas appliances safe?

Make sure your gas appliances at home are safe and take steps to protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning and fire.

  • If you smell gas, open all doors and windows, turn off the gas supply and call the 24-hour Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 straight away.
  • If you have a gas boiler, the pilot light should be alight all the time. If it has gone out and you can’t relight it yourself call out a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Have your gas appliances safety checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Only Gas Safe registered engineers are legally allowed to work on gas appliances. Find one on the Gas Safe website or by calling 0800 408 5500.

How can I prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

Heaters that burn gas, coal or wood can give off poisonous carbon monoxide fumes if they’re not working properly.

Carbon monoxide is known as a ‘silent killer’ because you can’t see, taste or smell it. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to a cold or flu and can include headaches, dizziness, nausea and breathlessness.

A carbon monoxide detector will flash and sound an audible alarm if it detects carbon monoxide. You should install one in every room where there is a gas appliance and test it monthly. The batteries usually last around five years.

When you buy a carbon monoxide detector, make sure it bears the Kitemark and European Standard number BS EN 50291.

If you think carbon monoxide is present, call the gas emergency number 0800 111 999. If you have solid fuel heating, call a solid fuel engineer.

Contact the Solid Fuel Association for a list of members


How can I make sure my home electrics are safe?

There are more than 20,000 electrical fires in UK homes each year. Follow these top tips to make sure your home electrics are safe.

  • Don’t overload sockets or extension leads as this can cause a fire. If you don’t have enough sockets, use a bar adapter on a lead rather than a block adapter. But for appliances that use a lot of power, such as a fridge or washing machine, put only one plug in each socket.
  • Check your plugs, sockets, cables and appliances for any damage, such as fraying and exposed or loose wires. Damaged electrical appliances are a fire hazard. Don’t ignore warning signs such as burning smells, buzzing or crackling sounds, or fuses blowing.
  • You should get a registered electrician to check your wiring at least every ten years. Wiring in the home can suffer wear and tear, which could make it dangerous.
  • Take particular care when using garden equipment that needs to be plugged in. Make sure any garden equipment is plugged into a socket with RCD (Residual Current Device) protection. RCDs protect you from electric shock.
  • Get your electric blanket tested by an expert at least every three years and replace it every 10 years. The shop where you bought the blanket or your local Trading Standards office may be able to test it. Check for danger signs, such as frayed fabric or scorch marks. Check whether you have the type of blanket that can be left on overnight – if it can’t be, always unplug it when you go to bed. Never switch it on if it’s damp or wet, and never use it with a hot-water bottle.

Further information

A small favour

All the information and advice we provide on the website is free and completely independent, as is our National Advice Line that is open 365 days a year.

But demand is going up. We are an ageing population and more people than ever are coming to us for support, which is why we need to ask for help.

If you are able to, just a small gift today could help us reach even more older people wherever the need is greatest.

Please support our work

For more information call Age UK on 0800 055 6112

 

Last updated: Nov 08 2017

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top