61-year-old Simon takes on Mount Everest for Age UK
Published on 03 February 2011 10:30 AM
61-year-old Simon Knighton from Marlborough, Wiltshire, will scale Mount Everest in April 2011 with the aim of raising £100,000 for the charity Age UK and local good causes.
Simon, who has held roles at a senior level for a number of UK charities and social enterprises, will be taking a three month career break to achieve his ambition to be the second British man over the age of 60 to successfully summit Mount Everest. By taking on the challenge, he hopes to show that everyone has the potential to do something incredible, whatever their age.
Simon said: 'I'm by no means a professional mountaineer, and climbing Mount Everest will be the greatest challenge of my life. I've been training for the climb for a year and whilst I feel confident I can tackle Everest, I know that luck will have a significant part to play in my success.'
Simon, whose first grandchild is due whilst he will be tackling the climb, is anticipating that the separation from his family for over two months will be one of the most challenging aspects of the experience. However, he is determined to make the most of the opportunity by raising vital funds for Age UK and local charities.
Simon added: 'I'm dedicating the expedition to Age UK and local charitable organisations as I feel that we should all have access to health and wellbeing services in later life. I'm also hoping my experience will inspire others to set themselves a personal challenge and do something extraordinary for charity.'
To donate to Simon's Mount Everest climb, please visit http://www.justgiving.com/simon-knighton.
- ENDS -
Note to Editors
- For more information about Age UK please contact Lizzie Webster, Age UK Media Team, on 020 8765 7516 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Age UK is the new force combining Age Concern and Help the Aged, dedicated to improving later life.
- Age UK provide free information, advice and support to over five million people; commercial products and services to over one million customers; and research and campaign on the issues that matter to people in later life. Our work focuses on five key areas: money matters, health and well being, home and care, work and training and leisure and lifestyle. We work with our national partners, Age Scotland, Age Cymru and Age NI (together the Age UK Family), our local Age UK partners in England and local Age Concerns. We also work internationally for people in later life as a member of the DEC and with our sister charity Help Age International.
- Age UK is a charitable company limited by guarantee and registered in England (registered charity number 1128267 and company number 6825798). Age Concern England and Help the Aged (both registered charities), and their trading and other associated companies merged on the 1st April 2009. Together they have formed the Age UK Group ("we"). Charitable services are offered through Age UK and commercial products are offered by the Charity's trading companies, which donate their net profits to Age UK (the Charity).
- Local organisations who Simon is also supporting through his Mount Everest challenge include XX
Media contact: Lizzie Webster
Tel: 020 8765 7516
Out-of-hours: 07071 243 243