Spread the warmth to an older neighbour
Why not invite an older neighbour round for tea or maybe offer to pick up some shopping for them?
It's easy to forget that older people sometimes just want someone to pass the time of day with.
Even a small act can make a big difference. Knock on your neighbour's door and ask them if they need anything.
- Invite them round for a cup of tea and a slice of cake
- Drive them to a medical appointment
- Pick up some shopping for them
- Ask if they have anything that needs taking to the tip
- Offer to sweep up leaves or salt an icy front step
- Offer a mince pie and mulled wine at Christmas
Share your pledge to help an older person
Why not let others know what you're doing and inspire them to help - share your good intentions on social media.
A word of caution
Do make sure you've introduced yourself properly first, telling them who you are and where you live.
Not everyone wants to be friendly with their neighbours, so try to judge the mood when you first approach them.
Once you've got that good rapport with your neighbour, it'll be much easier to do something nice for them.
For more information call Age UK on 0800 169 8787.
We're open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.