Our legislative work aims to provide information to MPs and peers about how proposed legislation affects later life and how their work could improve the lives of older people.
We produce briefings on key legislation and debates to outline our position as an organisation and key priorities for people in later life. We also submit evidence to Parliamentary inquiries on subjects affecting older people.
Some of our recent work is below and if you are looking for information on a particular issue please contact us to see if we can help.
Contact us to discuss how we can support you in Parliament
Money & Legal
Age UK believes that all current and future older people should have sufficient income from state and private sources to live comfortably and participate fully in society.
- What does Brexit mean for our older population? 10 questions for the new Government (PDF, 564 KB)
- Financial guidance and claims bill second reading, January 2018 (PDF, 212 KB)
- Autumn Budget, November 2017 (PDF, 66 KB)
- Financial guidance and claims bill, July 2017 (PDF, 172 KB)
- Budget, March 2017 (PDF, 175 KB)
- Written evidence - Financial exclusion, Dec 2016
- Scamming and its effect on vulnerable individuals, September 2016 (PDF, 238 KB)
- Bank branch closure, September 2016 (PDF, 169 KB)
- Written evidence - intergenerational fairness (Feb 2016)
- Fraud and scams party conference paper, 2017 (PDF, 3 MB)
Health, care and wellbeing
Public health is just as important for older people as for other age groups and prevention even more so. Preventing poor health and health crises in older people should be an essential objective for health and care services. Older people must be able to expect high quality care and support services that are co-ordinated and joined-up around their needs and circumstances.
- Written evidence: Adapting to climate change (PDF, 124 KB)
- Social care, December 2017 (PDF, 297 KB)
- Human rights of older people and their comprehensive care, July 2017 (PDF, 214 KB)
- Health and care of older people in England, February 2017 (PDF, 2 MB)
- Discharging older people from hospital, June 2016 (PDF, 274 KB)
- Mental Capacity (Amendment) Bill (PDF, 332 KB)
- Mental Capacity (Amendment) Bill (HL) Committee Stage, October 2018 (PDF, 359 KB)
- Mental Capacity (Amendment) Bill (HL) Report Stage - November 2018 (PDF, 306 KB)
Housing and Home
Older people should be able to live safely and with dignity in good quality, warm housing that meets their individual needs, free from exploitation and abuse.
Older people contribute a huge amount to society and the economy. Through work, volunteering, caring or grandparenting, older people take part in a range of activities all of which carry significant value. However, they face many barriers, including ageism, poor transport links and digital exclusion, which prevent them from playing a full and active role in the economy and society.
- Written evidence - Community transport inquiry, November 2017 (PDF, 212 KB)
- Written evidence - Bus services bill, March 2017 (PDF, 225 KB)
- Written evidence - Policing for the future, March 2017
- Written evidence - Hate crime and its violent consequences, September 2016
- Written evidence - Disability and the built environment, October 2016
- Transport infrastructure, September 2016 (PDF, 187 KB)
Become an Age Champion
Age UK and our supporters across the country have been asking MPs to become Age Champions. By signing up as an Age Champion, MPs agree to work to help make the UK and their community a great place to grow older.
For more information call Age UK on 0800 169 8787.
We're open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.