Skip to content
Please donate

Types of care home

There are several different types of care home to consider, along with alternatives to care homes. Look into all the options, seek advice, and make the right decision for you.

What types of care home are available?

While all care homes offer accommodation and personal care, there are specialist types of care homes that offer extra services for residents with greater needs.

Care homes can be run by private companies, local councils or charitable organisations.

Type of care home

What they offer

Care homes

These have staff who help with personal care such as washing, dressing, taking medication and going to the toilet. They might also offer social activities and day trips for residents.

Care homes with nursing

These are also known as 'nursing homes'. These offer staff who offer personal care as well as 24-hour assistance from qualified nurses.

Care homes with dementia care

These are designed to make people with dementia feel comfortable and safe. They often have qualified nurses with dementia training.

Dual-registered care homes These accept residents who need both personal care and nursing care. This means that if someone moves in only requiring help with personal care, but their needs increase over time, they won't have to move to a different home.

Are there alternatives to care homes?

Someone may have suggested that you need a care home – maybe because you've had an accident or you're starting to need more help on a day-to-day basis. But this doesn't necessarily mean that it's the right decision for you. You might find that a different option suits you better.

It's your decision so you should look into all the options and ask for help and advice if you need it. There are other options you could explore if you don't feel ready to move into a care home at the moment.

Adapting your home

Small adjustments around your home might be just what you need to feel more safe and independent. You might also be able to get some adjustments paid for by your local council.

Find out more about adapting your home

Getting help at home

If you're having trouble with day-to-day tasks around the house, then arranging to have some help at home (also known as home care) could make you feel more comfortable.

Find out more about arranging home care

Sheltered housing

Sheletered housing (also known as retirement housing) allows you to live more independantly than a care home, but provides a little bit of support to give you peace of mind.

Find out more about sheltered housing

Where do I start in arranging care?

The first step to getting any kind of care is to get a care needs assessment from your local council.

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 120 local Age UKs.

Share this page

Last updated: Jun 10 2024

You might also be interested in...

Care homes

Whether you're choosing a care home (also known as a residential home) for a loved one or moving into one yourself,...

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top