Skip to content
Please donate

Getting care and support for dementia

A dementia diagnosis can be daunting, but you don't have to go through it alone. There's lots of help available – things like day centres and creative workshops may provide the support you need. Or you might be eligible for financial support that can give you some peace of mind.

Where can I get more support?

Whether you're already receiving support but you feel you need some more, you don't currently feel supported or you'd like to meet people who are going through a similar experience, local support groups can make a real difference.

Memory cafés allow you to meet up with other people who have dementia, so they offer information and support in an informal setting. You can attend with your carer and there are sometimes professional carers there who you can talk to in confidence. 

Creative workshops such as arts and crafts or music workshops allow you to keep up the hobbies you enjoy or learn new ones while meeting new people.

Specialist support groups put you in touch with others so that you can talk about how you're feeling and learn about what you could expect in the future. 

Maintenance Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (MCST) is a weekly one- to two-hour-long programme for people living with mild to moderate dementia. Group members take part in meaningful and stimulating activities, proven to help maintain memory and mental functioning. Click here to find out more about Maintenance Cognitive Stimulation Therapy.

Day centres can provide company and things to do. Some are for older people with or without dementia and others are specifically for those with more advanced dementia.

Local support services – Alzheimer's Society

The Alzheimer's Society website has a dementia directory with information about local dementia support services for people with dementia and their carers.

Click here to find local dementia support services on the Alzheimer's Society's website

Could I receive financial support?

It's a good idea to make sure that you're claiming all the financial support that you're entitled to.

Make sure you claim all the benefits you're entitled to. You may be entitled to a disability benefit – either Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance, depending on your age. These aren't means-tested so your income and savings won't be taken into account. 

Apply for a 25% reduction on your Council Tax bill if you live alone. Or, if you live with someone else, they may be entitled to a 25% discount on their Council Tax bill because of your dementia. As your dementia progresses, they may be entitled to a further 25% reduction.

If you have a carer, see if they're entitled to Carer's Allowance. However, if they claim it, any income-related benefits you receive, such as Pension Credit, may be reduced. 

Benefits check

You can check what benefits you might be entitled to using our Benefit Calculator. 

Click here to use our Benefits Calculator

What if I need help with daily tasks?

If you're having difficulty managing daily tasks or aspects of personal care, you might find some extra support helpful. Contact the adult social services department of your local council and ask for a care needs assessment. They'll provide you with information and advice, look at what kind of help you need and decide what services could help. 

If you qualify for help, you may be offered a personal budget. This is money provided by the council for you to use to arrange and pay for your care. The amount depends on how much it'll cost to arrange the care and support you need in your local area. 

Care needs assessments

We have information and advice about care needs assessments – how to arrange the assessment, how to prepare for the assessment and what happens after the assessment. 

Click here to find out more about care needs assessments

What if I need a lot more help in the future?

It's worth thinking about what you want to happen if your dementia progresses and you need a lot more help. It can be hard to think about the future, but planning ahead can give you peace of mind that your preferences and wishes are known if you can no longer explain them.

There's a range of housing options available to you, including: 

Sheltered housing

This is specifically designed for older people and allows you to live independently in your own accommodation. But extra help is available if you need it, such as visits from staff and 24-hour emergency alarm systems. If you have a partner, you can move in together.

Extra care housing 

This is similar to sheltered accommodation but care is provided as well. Services vary, but this often means that meals are provided and help with personal care is available if needed. The cost depends on how much help you need. If you have a partner, you can move in together.

Care homes 

These provide 24/7 personal care and may offer social activities too. Unlike in extra care housing, you don't live in a self-contained home with your own front door.

Care homes with nursing

These provide 24/7 personal care, as well as assistance from qualified nurses. 

Phone icon We're here to help

We offer support through our free advice line on 0800 678 1602. Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year. We also have specialist advisers at over 120 local Age UKs.

Share this page

Last updated: Apr 08 2024

You might also be interested in...

Types of care home

There are several different types of care home to consider, along with alternatives to care homes. Look into all the...

Care homes

Whether you're choosing a care home (also known as a residential home) for a loved one or moving into one yourself,...

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top