Skip to content
Please donate

Pensions advice

Joining Forces logoArmed Forces pensions are extremely complex, with a number of schemes in operation.

You may also be eligible for some sort of war pension, depending on your length of service, when you served and whether or not you were injured while in action.

Am I eligible for a pension?

There are currently four Armed Forces Pension Schemes (AFPD) and it's possible that you have earned a preserved pension that is payable at the age 60. 

The easiest way to find out if you're due any money that you don't know about, is to contac the Forces Pensions Society.

Contact the Forces Pensions Society

The FPS is an independent, not-for-profit organisation that acts as the pension watchdog for the whole military community.

How do I trace a non-services pension?

If you've changed jobs during your career, you may have a pension with more than one employer or pension provider.

Fortunately, you can get in touch with The Pension Tracing Service. It's free and can help you trace a pension you’ve lost track of, even if you don’t have the contact details of the pension provider.

Pension Tracing Service

War Pension Scheme

If you were injured as part of your time in the Armed Forces before April 2005 and are no longer serving, then the War Pension Scheme will compensate for this. 

What sort of injury?

You can claim for any injury or illness which has been caused or made worse by result of service.

This injury could have happened during exercise as well as during active service, and can range from relatively minor fractures to amputations and other more serious conditions, including mental disorders.

What sort of award do I get?

There are two types of awards

  • A one-off lump sum: a gratuity
  • An ongoing weekly/monthly payment: a pension

How do I claim?

Visit the GOV UK website

You can download the claim forms and get all the relevant information from the Armed Forces Compensation section of the GOV UK website.

For more information call Age UK on 0800 055 6112

Partnering with SSAFA

SSAFA logo

As part of Joining Forces, Age UK is partnering with SSAFA, the Armed Forces Charity, to deliver 12 local projects across England.

Find out more about SSAFA


Last updated: Dec 19 2017

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top