Spiced carrot cake
This spiced carrot cake recipe is rich in beta-carotene, which converts in the body to vitamin A. This has an anti-oxidant effect, boosts immunity, and may slow down the development of macular degeneration and cataracts.
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time : 60-70 minutes
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 140g/5oz light brown sugar
- 55g/2oz chopped walnuts
- 115g/4oz grated carrots
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 150ml/5fl oz sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp nutmeg (or use 1½ tsp mixed spice)
Topping ingredients (optional)
- 170g/6oz low-fat cream cheese
- 55g/2oz low-fat margarine
- 115g/4oz icing sugar
- 2–3 drops vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/350°F.
- Grease and line a deep 20cm/8in cake tin.
- Mix all the cake ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until smooth and creamy and put into a cake tin.
- Cook for about 1 hour until the cake is well risen and shrinking away from the sides.
- Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes.
- Remove cake carefully from the tin and place it on a wire rack to cool down completely.
- If requiring topping, beat together the ingredients and smooth over the cooled cake.
- Store in the fridge.
For more information call Age UK on 0800 055 6112