Potato and onion layer
Rita from North Shields enjoys making this dish either as a side or a main course.
Potatoes provide carbohydrates for energy, fibre to support digestion and vitamin C to keep away coughs and colds.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 1
- 1 medium baking potato
- 1 small, finely diced onion
- A little butter/low-fat margarine/olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp of grated mature cheese, if desired
- a handful of cooked beans
- chopped courgette/marrow
- shredded cabbage
- frozen peas/sweetcorn
- Set the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/400°F
- Wash the potato and cut into 6–8 slices.
- Grease a small ovenproof dish.
- Layer the potato with the onion and other optional ingredients, adding pepper and a little butter/margarine
- or oil to each layer.
- Cover and bake for about 25 minutes until the potato is soft. Add a little cheese, if desired, and return to the oven for a few minutes until the cheese bubbles.