Vegetable patties recipe
This recipe contains a lot of vegetables, giving you some of your ‘five a day’ and providing vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants to support good health. There are nuts for protein and some carbohydrates for energy.
It takes a little preparation but makes 4–6 patties, depending on what size you would like. You can freeze any leftovers before frying and defrost and cook on another day.
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes (excluding pre-cooking of potatoes) | Serves: 4-6
- 340g/12oz potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 55g/2oz each of peas, corn, green beans, carrots, cut into very small pieces and boiled
- 55g/2oz unsalted mixed nuts, such as almonds, brazils, cashews, walnuts, coarsely crushed
- 115g/4oz onion
- 255g/9oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp chopped coriander or parsley (can used dried)
- 1 tsp ginger powder (optional)
- 1 small green chilli crushed (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cut the peas, carrots, green beans and corn into small pieces. Boil until soft. In a separate pan, boil and then mash the potatoes.
- Mix all the vegetables, nuts, herbs and spices together in a large bowl, and add a few spoons of breadcrumbs to help bind the mixture together.
- When the vegetables have cooled, shape the mixture into 2.5cm (1in) thick patties and dip into the rest of the breadcrumbs to coat them.
- Heat the oil and then add the patties, cooking for a few minutes on each side until light brown.
- Serve with a crisp salad and some tomato relish or ketchup.